Skip to main content

Secrets of a Teacher's Ward

It has been a year I passed my 12th grade and began a new journey of my life, but the memories of Oxford Public School have not yet faded. It has been a long journey with some ups and downs, a lot many things a child experiences in his school days - bunking a class, roaming around the corridors, standing outside Principal’s office, parents being called for annual report and what not. I am pretty sure most you might have experienced all of this, but to everyone’s surprise all of this never happened with me because my mother teaches in OPS.

I find this blog the right platform where I can explain how it is to be a teacher’s ward. It is definitely fun. You are neither ghar ka na ghat ka :D . Classmates see you as a potential tale-teller and teachers expect you to be a perfect student! 

I always studied in the school where my mother taught and for a year she was my class teacher too. So in my 15 years of schooling, I never missed her. We literally spent 24 hours together under the same roof. There are perks as well as short comings in such a situation.
I sometimes felt that it’s pretty cool to be taught by your mom in school. Here’s why:

a.  Because there is a funny belief among your friends that if they piss you off, they are pissing off their teacher to. While the real situation is actually quite different. My mother was very impartial when it came to matters related to school and I am really proud of it.
b.   I used to get to know all the cool stuff before everyone else. What cool stuff? Let me give examples:
Is tomorrow a holiday because there is a bandh scheduled? 
There would be no zero-period tomorrow.
Are they closing school from tomorrow because it’s quite hot?

People often don’t know the other side of this, it sometimes feels even worse when your mom is in same school where you study. Why? It is because:
a.    I was never allowed to top in any test, no matter how good my paper was. My paper was corrected with extra strictness. I remember complaining about this to my dad after every test :D. After a few tests, I had this ambition of topping in the subject when mum was my teacher and my happiness knew no bounds when I did it.
b.   I had parent-teacher meeting almost every alternate day. So, I couldn't dare to miss my homework or copy during class tests. That’s one regret I still have :)
c.     Not a chance that I could bunk.
d.    Oh, and most guys were 'afraid' to talk to me as I was their 'teacher's son'. That felt a little awkward and sad.
e.    My friends took liberty in complaining about me to my mom. And that was just to gain an edge. I knew it! Damn it you guys!!!
f.      I never could argue with other teachers because I knew they'd go straight to my mum!
g.    Sometimes I wished she would stop being so impartial and oblivious to the fact that I was her son and craved for her attention during classes.

But that was just me, that kid who was the star in all other classes except her mom's :D :D
This is all I went through my 15 years of schooling, I tried to show you my personal side of it. But on a serious note, I got to see how my mother has managed to be strong out of love for her profession and vulnerable out of love for her son.

Sarthak Dhamija
Alumni, Oxford Public School


Comments

  1. Strongly agree with you Sarthak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samarjeet Singh16 July 2017 at 14:00

    Yes I completely agree with you bhaiya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha on the point. Very well written Sarthak 🖤

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well written Sarthak! It was pleasure reading your post :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My family, My Oxford

The title is indeed apt for my write up. Oxford is not just an elite school, its’ a royal family. I am extremely happy to be able to express my feelings towards my family through this blog post. The year 2007 was one of the best years of my life. It was 15 th of March when I joined Oxford Public School. First day can be frightening and I was nervous too. But the environment was so encouraging, all the educators were so dedicated towards their students. Everyone helped a new teacher like me, even the students – I was on cloud nine! Everything was so good! Continuing my journey in the school I made great friends, learned many new concepts of teaching and became part of this huge family. More importantly, Oxford became an integral part of my life. At Oxford, the students don’t just learn, they grow – mentally as well as emotionally. The senior administration including Principal Ma’am, Vice Principal Ma’am and Sudesh Ma’am have made this possible. They make sure that the educat

Thank You Note For My Beloved Principal Ma'am

You never really know someone until you understand things from their perspective; until you get into their shoes and walk around in them.  I have been very fortunate to join Oxford Public School, first as a student and then as a teacher. When I was a student, though I loved my school immensely, there were a few things I could not understand. But today, being the part of Oxford as an educator, I have understood what all this institution has been doing for 25 years now; especially principal ma'am.  Ma'am, you have helped us to open our eyes to the world, you gave us curiosity and confidence, you taught us to ask questions, you connected us to our past and future, you have never been less than a super star. You are the one who has shaped many students' lives, you are the one because of whom Oxford shines. You allowed us to be the best we could be. You touch the life of every student and make sure it is set on a constructive path. You have changed so many lives an

Make A Difference

My journey as an educator began 25 years ago at this very school- Oxford Public School. Teaching different grades in this awesome journey, I have developed deep appreciation and understanding for this noblest profession. Providing an environment where my students can take risk and experience authentic learning is the cornerstone of my educational philosophy. The connection between student and teacher is everything. All through these years I have been trying to repair self- efficacy of students in different subjects, especially in English. Earning trust of students is the vehicle for making the necessary adjustments to make them believe, in their ability to analyse and create their own masterpieces. 'What is best for our students?' This is the question that twirls around my mind about one hundred times a day. My job as a teacher is to make learning experience engaging, encouraging and inspiring to all learners. I teach with purpose in mind. I want school to be a f