Skip to main content

Awaken the learner

Please check the link before you read the write-up.

This beautiful short film by Nitin Das made me pen down skills that can be tried in class to change and motivate our students.

The student-teacher relationship has changed a lot over the time. I'm certain all teachers will agree that the picture was drastically different when we were on the other side of the fence. In the present age, the best lessons, books and materials in the wold won't get students excited about learning if they are not motivated. Even the most educated teacher with best of intentions, sometimes lack motivational skills. So whether you are a new teacher or an experienced one, let us try using some techniques to motivate our beloved students so that they can achieve their true potential.

First and foremost, we need to give students a sense of control. Let them choose the type of assignment they do. Let them decide which problem will they work on. Following instructions usually meets with resistance. Giving them that power of choice may just motivate them to put in that extra effort and perform better.
Secondly, create a threat free environment. When we educators create a safe, supportive environment for students and believe in the students' abilities rather than laying out the consequences of not doing things, students are much more likely to get motivated and do their best.

Classroom is a great place for learning but sitting at the same place for long may seem dull for some. To renew their interest in the subject, take them for field trips.
Everyone craves for appreciation and acknowledgement. Students, at any age, are no exceptions. Acknowledge the minutest improvement/positive behaviour. Appreciate a deed well done. Offer them a chance to earn rewards. It may prove an excellent source of motivation.

We also need to give students responsibility and allow them to work together. But we need to ensure that the groups are balanced and fair. Also build a positive competitive spirit amongst them. If, at all, you find any of your student demotivated, try to find out the reason behind it. For that, you need to know your students well, understand them.
So friends, please create such an atmosphere in class that students love to attend your class & miss you when you are not there.

Shallu Dhamija
Director Academics, Oxford Public School


Comments

  1. Points must be noted.... From this write up. Thank you ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Points must be noted.... From this write up. Thank you ma'am.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My family, My Oxford

The title is indeed apt for my write up. Oxford is not just an elite school, its’ a royal family. I am extremely happy to be able to express my feelings towards my family through this blog post. The year 2007 was one of the best years of my life. It was 15 th of March when I joined Oxford Public School. First day can be frightening and I was nervous too. But the environment was so encouraging, all the educators were so dedicated towards their students. Everyone helped a new teacher like me, even the students – I was on cloud nine! Everything was so good! Continuing my journey in the school I made great friends, learned many new concepts of teaching and became part of this huge family. More importantly, Oxford became an integral part of my life. At Oxford, the students don’t just learn, they grow – mentally as well as emotionally. The senior administration including Principal Ma’am, Vice Principal Ma’am and Sudesh Ma’am have made this possible. They make sure that the educat

Thank You Note For My Beloved Principal Ma'am

You never really know someone until you understand things from their perspective; until you get into their shoes and walk around in them.  I have been very fortunate to join Oxford Public School, first as a student and then as a teacher. When I was a student, though I loved my school immensely, there were a few things I could not understand. But today, being the part of Oxford as an educator, I have understood what all this institution has been doing for 25 years now; especially principal ma'am.  Ma'am, you have helped us to open our eyes to the world, you gave us curiosity and confidence, you taught us to ask questions, you connected us to our past and future, you have never been less than a super star. You are the one who has shaped many students' lives, you are the one because of whom Oxford shines. You allowed us to be the best we could be. You touch the life of every student and make sure it is set on a constructive path. You have changed so many lives an

Make A Difference

My journey as an educator began 25 years ago at this very school- Oxford Public School. Teaching different grades in this awesome journey, I have developed deep appreciation and understanding for this noblest profession. Providing an environment where my students can take risk and experience authentic learning is the cornerstone of my educational philosophy. The connection between student and teacher is everything. All through these years I have been trying to repair self- efficacy of students in different subjects, especially in English. Earning trust of students is the vehicle for making the necessary adjustments to make them believe, in their ability to analyse and create their own masterpieces. 'What is best for our students?' This is the question that twirls around my mind about one hundred times a day. My job as a teacher is to make learning experience engaging, encouraging and inspiring to all learners. I teach with purpose in mind. I want school to be a f