Skip to main content

GET.SET.GO!


As teachers, we often complain that students do not pay attention in the class or they are not ready to learn. They throw tantrums, they disobey, the feel sleepy, they get agitated, they don’t write in class, they don’t do their homework assignments etc.

However, my experience is that it’s not always student’s fault. Many times, it is teachers’ fault too sometimes. Teachers aren’t prepared with their lessons so what they serve in the class in half baked. I’ m very sure none of us will lap up anything half – baked. Then why blame students? The other times, teachers prepare their lectures well. They make thorough notes, consult different books, make worksheets too. But sometimes we have students in classroom who learn better with audio – visual aids or practical’s. So, our lectures fall on deaf ears. Is it the kids’ fault? No. As teachers it is our responsibility to make use of all the aids available so that a variety of learners will grasp the concept. This variety will also make the subject interesting. And once we are able to hold their interest, their attention won’t waiver.

The problem is that we wait for the students to be ready for learning. I believe it is as good as wishing for the moon and stars. In short, it is not going to happen. Teachers need to adopt Responsive Classroom Approach; where student don’t only focus on academics but also build social – emotional competencies. Teachers also need to model the behavior they expect from students. Children are great imitators, we need to give them something good to emulate. The teacher – student relationship should be based on love, affection and trust. This will also make students respect their teacher. Remove the threat in your classroom, give rewards instead of threats. Recognize and respect the needs of the students and for that, the teacher – student relationship should be strong. Yes, it basically just boils down to your relationship with the students. We need to recognize whether the circumstances call us to be firm or friendly; we have to find that delicate balance where students can approach us with any of their problem/doubt, but they also know they cannot get away with any wrong doing.

It is in that delicate balance where lies the bliss.

Charanjeet Kaur

Organising Secretary, Oxford Public School


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My family, My Oxford

The title is indeed apt for my write up. Oxford is not just an elite school, its’ a royal family. I am extremely happy to be able to express my feelings towards my family through this blog post. The year 2007 was one of the best years of my life. It was 15 th of March when I joined Oxford Public School. First day can be frightening and I was nervous too. But the environment was so encouraging, all the educators were so dedicated towards their students. Everyone helped a new teacher like me, even the students – I was on cloud nine! Everything was so good! Continuing my journey in the school I made great friends, learned many new concepts of teaching and became part of this huge family. More importantly, Oxford became an integral part of my life. At Oxford, the students don’t just learn, they grow – mentally as well as emotionally. The senior administration including Principal Ma’am, Vice Principal Ma’am and Sudesh Ma’am have made this possible. They make sure that the educat

Thank You Note For My Beloved Principal Ma'am

You never really know someone until you understand things from their perspective; until you get into their shoes and walk around in them.  I have been very fortunate to join Oxford Public School, first as a student and then as a teacher. When I was a student, though I loved my school immensely, there were a few things I could not understand. But today, being the part of Oxford as an educator, I have understood what all this institution has been doing for 25 years now; especially principal ma'am.  Ma'am, you have helped us to open our eyes to the world, you gave us curiosity and confidence, you taught us to ask questions, you connected us to our past and future, you have never been less than a super star. You are the one who has shaped many students' lives, you are the one because of whom Oxford shines. You allowed us to be the best we could be. You touch the life of every student and make sure it is set on a constructive path. You have changed so many lives an

Make A Difference

My journey as an educator began 25 years ago at this very school- Oxford Public School. Teaching different grades in this awesome journey, I have developed deep appreciation and understanding for this noblest profession. Providing an environment where my students can take risk and experience authentic learning is the cornerstone of my educational philosophy. The connection between student and teacher is everything. All through these years I have been trying to repair self- efficacy of students in different subjects, especially in English. Earning trust of students is the vehicle for making the necessary adjustments to make them believe, in their ability to analyse and create their own masterpieces. 'What is best for our students?' This is the question that twirls around my mind about one hundred times a day. My job as a teacher is to make learning experience engaging, encouraging and inspiring to all learners. I teach with purpose in mind. I want school to be a f