Skip to main content

Life's Lessons :)

My time with the Oxford family has been like a life span of a butterfly- short yet very beautiful! Unravelling each and every stage shall take several posts and I myself might not be able to trim my journey into a brief note. How can it be possible when you have so much to express?
There were several 'first' experiences for me- be it dancing out in the Dandia Night, the truly colourful celebration of the Holi festival using flower petals or the Secret Santa!!! I came with an empty sac but now its overflowing with lots and lots of beautiful memories, cherish-able experiences, knowledge and lots of love!
School is all about learning and growing; where not only the students but teachers learn and grow as well. Being unaware of the protocol and ethics of working in a professional environment, I felt just like a 'Learner', with "L" marked on the wind shield of my car, who is learning to drive. I committed several mistakes and learned from them. And, gradually, as the time unfolded, I found myself pretty comfortable at this place, as if I belong to it and it belongs to me.
But I was not the only 'new' member of the school. My little kids were new as well. What more could be better than this? We shared something in common and the roots began to connect. Maybe this is the reason which initially helped me to establish a strong connection between us.
I was driven by another set of words, which made me realize the purpose of handling a class. Someone once said, "Mona, you have these little children now. Make sure you create a difference in their lives” and that someone was none other than a very noble soul, our Principal Ma'am- an inspiration for many!
My students have also inspired me many times, unknowingly. Would you like to read about that? Let me share a recent incident.
A few days back, two of my students were learning to skate. After their half an hour struggle with the skates and guards, they were able to wear them properly. As they stood, they were ready to conquer the rink. They took a few steps and tripped. Another few steps and again a fall! This continued for a while, till one of them gave up and sat. "Ma'am, I am unable to do", he reckoned and started sobbing. The other one, however, stood up after falling and with a pretty smile he said," Ma'am! See, I fall but I stand." He told the other boy, "Come, get up! Try! Try! Don't cry!" With this he began his voyage again and eventually the number of falls decreased. Looking at him, the other boy stood up as well and tried to skate as well as possible. He did fall down again, but he had learned how to pick himself up now.
What an important lesson they both learned that day! They did what many of us fail to do.
Sometimes, you have to talk to a six-year-old to understand life.
With strengthened belief in herself, this butterfly is now supposed to fly away.
Mona Bartar
Educator, Oxford Public School


Comments

  1. All the best maam....n yes Oxford's culture is all about giving and nurturing.. It has turned many saplings in to plants..
    Which are growing n flourishing somewhere or the other...n it give us immense pleasure when we come to know about them
    N the best part is, they are still attach to their golden roots..OXFORD
    Hope you too will be connected.... N share your success with us...
    All the Best..

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best maam....n yes Oxford's culture is all about giving and nurturing.. It has turned many saplings in to plants..
    Which are growing n flourishing somewhere or the other...n it give us immense pleasure when we come to know about them
    N the best part is, they are still attach to their golden roots..OXFORD
    Hope you too will be connected.... N share your success with us...
    All the Best..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My family, My Oxford

The title is indeed apt for my write up. Oxford is not just an elite school, its’ a royal family. I am extremely happy to be able to express my feelings towards my family through this blog post. The year 2007 was one of the best years of my life. It was 15 th of March when I joined Oxford Public School. First day can be frightening and I was nervous too. But the environment was so encouraging, all the educators were so dedicated towards their students. Everyone helped a new teacher like me, even the students – I was on cloud nine! Everything was so good! Continuing my journey in the school I made great friends, learned many new concepts of teaching and became part of this huge family. More importantly, Oxford became an integral part of my life. At Oxford, the students don’t just learn, they grow – mentally as well as emotionally. The senior administration including Principal Ma’am, Vice Principal Ma’am and Sudesh Ma’am have made this possible. They make sure that the educat

Thank You Note For My Beloved Principal Ma'am

You never really know someone until you understand things from their perspective; until you get into their shoes and walk around in them.  I have been very fortunate to join Oxford Public School, first as a student and then as a teacher. When I was a student, though I loved my school immensely, there were a few things I could not understand. But today, being the part of Oxford as an educator, I have understood what all this institution has been doing for 25 years now; especially principal ma'am.  Ma'am, you have helped us to open our eyes to the world, you gave us curiosity and confidence, you taught us to ask questions, you connected us to our past and future, you have never been less than a super star. You are the one who has shaped many students' lives, you are the one because of whom Oxford shines. You allowed us to be the best we could be. You touch the life of every student and make sure it is set on a constructive path. You have changed so many lives an

Make A Difference

My journey as an educator began 25 years ago at this very school- Oxford Public School. Teaching different grades in this awesome journey, I have developed deep appreciation and understanding for this noblest profession. Providing an environment where my students can take risk and experience authentic learning is the cornerstone of my educational philosophy. The connection between student and teacher is everything. All through these years I have been trying to repair self- efficacy of students in different subjects, especially in English. Earning trust of students is the vehicle for making the necessary adjustments to make them believe, in their ability to analyse and create their own masterpieces. 'What is best for our students?' This is the question that twirls around my mind about one hundred times a day. My job as a teacher is to make learning experience engaging, encouraging and inspiring to all learners. I teach with purpose in mind. I want school to be a f